Monday, February 6, 2017

Reporting For Duty…Life At The Local PD

            Well, we all know I had to do it. Rather than ducking around corners, and peeping out my front door, may as well get it over with before I get arrested on their time, not mine. I had all my ducks in a row. My bestie went with me promising to meet the bondsman I had set up to spring me. As long as bail wasn’t over $800 I’d be able to bond out, and get home before my kid got home from school. All planned out huh?
            “Ah, I heard about you!” The officer said as he pated me down for whatever I’d be stupid enough to bring in with me. Prisoner treatment already…I have to say I was treated fair, the older cop took his time let, knowing I was dreading the cell. I don’t know if it’s an unspoken rule over at our local police department, but when he saw my meds he took a deep breathe in, “a crazy.” They tend to put you in your own cell when you bring in that many psych meds. “Your prepared I see” as he continued emptying my valuables on his damn desk. One pair of sunglasses, two gold bracelets, and a hair rubber band”…and my 8 scripts I brought with me, damn I just cleaned out that bag last night! So the entire process, property list, fingerprinting, mug shot. “What” I asked the officer as I went to fix my hair. He was laughing as I prepared to “take the last one”. I explained to him with my half paralyzed smile that my ex-husband would be getting a “ding” as soon as the charge posted. “Ah”, he says as he instructs me to turn to the right.
            I knew eventually it’d come, those four walls. It’s so cold in jail, I knew this so on a rather warm day, I was in a sweater, and warmest pants I could put on that morning. Still adjusting to my new antipsychotic I drifted in and out of sleep sitting there hour after hour. I’m not cut out for this shit! I told myself over and over again. “Why Mari, why are you back here yet again?” Cold, tired, and did I mention I filled an empty stomach with a full dose of my morning “cocktail”. Great just what they wanted a vomiting inmate. Finally I heard the heavy steps coming towards my door. ‘Please be me, please be me!” I had gone in early, so I could see the judge first thing in the morning. Finally! It was me! 5 hours had passed, felt longer with no idea of the time while I was in my box.
            So standing in front of a judge with no bra on embarrassing enough, now this stupid charge I thought in my head. All of this because I was driving against my psychiatrist orders, completely manic, and unable to concentrate on anything much less driving. So I hit a trailer, not really sure why the charge was so much, but a $3,000 bond was defiantly doable! Had the money waiting in the lobby, until…until he slid his hand over and did something I was not expecting. He gave me a Personal Recognizance Bond a.k.a. no bond payment, walk out of jail with the promise to go to my court date! I thought I ran out of PR Bonds long ago. I guess I had one left shocker.
            I was the only one in a full jailhouse that got that "P.R. Bond" that morning, a new cop on duty informed me. I was shocked, it wasn’t the fact that I was getting out, I figured there was a good chance my bondsman would keep me off the paddy wagon to County. I just know that I’ve received my fair share of P.R. Bonds and I figured my time was up when it came to walking out of jail without paying an arm and a leg. Lesson learned..again..ugh I hope it sticks this time. My local police department has pulled me in close to 6 times in the last 7 years. Minor violations that all add up to me looking irresponsible mostly.

          For now I’m out, with a heavy heart I went in and “took care of business.” Now my court date is looming over my head. I mean what do I tell the judge “I panicked, I’m not use to having my shit together so I took off?” I had no reason to leave that night. I had insurance to cover the accident, all my drivers license, tags and registration were valid, most of all I had no warrants out for me. I panicked. Have a headache now, I wonder why? Life adventures being mental.                                                        ~Mental Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment