Friday, February 17, 2017

My Cocktail…Not Yours….

We’ve all done it…and rightly so I think, we’ve all compared the medication we are prescribed, or had experience with it at least. “This one makes you feel amazing wonder woman” says to another. I was at a low-budget public mental health facility. So I’m listening in at this point to two oddball patients… “Stay away from this one the other replies, but ask for this one”… I’m rolling my eyes at this point. Yes, some side effects may range from irritability, to swimming thru mud for days with little to no improvement. 4-6 weeks before they you will see therapeutic levels, in the meantime your trying to survive the side effects long enough to make it to the 4-6 weeks! I know I’ve been there!
No psych medication works the same way in any two people is a good rule of thumb. I know I was naive once upon a time. I jumped on and off antidepressants because one worked wonders for one person, another person saw great results on another! I made myself sick demanding we change something to elevate the psychosis I my head. All the while throwing myself off mentally and physically. I was fueling my Bipolar II with antidepressants, and expecting any kind of results other than complete craziness. I was undiagnosed and unknowingly playing with fire.
            So here’s my suggestion as a person with over three decades of diagnosed mental illness. Be honest tell your doctor what your feeling, what’s working, what’s not. If you can’t remember things write them on a list of things to talk about at your next appointment. I’m that girl pulling out her notes as we walk into “The Good Docs” office. Everything will be fine once I’ve walked thru that door. I can’t remember shit except, “I don’t like this new med.”…. Well that’s really not giving your psychiatrist much to work with. Other options out there…most likely but they may have similar side effects leaving you swimming in that mud pile, and in circles I might add. Make it easy, type the effects in your phone, or write them out and bring it in with you.
So what does your psychiatrist want to know? Well, depends on your therapy, and if things are working for or against you? Pay attention to your sleep, how much, not enough, if a medication has you passed out all of the time, jittery out of your skin, or do you feel great? For me my sleeping habits are the number one factor in how I’m doing. “The Good Doc” knows my sleeping patterns oh so well. I’m kind of an all or nothing kinda gal! She nails me down instantly with that question! All I’m saying is being able to communicate with your psychiatrist is essential, you have to participate in your care.
Sitting there with yes/no and I don’t know answers will most likely end up on all kinds of meds. Most of which they were probably guessing you needed because of your blank reaction to the “So, how are you?” question. So find a psychiatrist you like! One that’s easy to tell you’re anything from angry, manic, homicidal, too suicidal. Personally I lay it all down to “The Good Doc,” she’s been my psychiatrist for the last 9 years. (Yes, I’ve taken off a few times to “start a new life”). I always keep going back to “The Good Doc” because she has treated me for so long, mostly of the time successfully. I know she will nail me down within the first three questions, along with weight, and medication levels in my blood.

            So be proactive is all I’m saying! Participate in your therapy, make it work for you, not against you! You’re the one that has to articulate to your doctor how you are feeling, and how medications are working for you. Remember what works for me may not work for you, for me…lesson learned! ~ Mental Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment