Monday, February 13, 2017

Balancing Act….

            My mind is clear today, and for that I am grateful! However it hasn’t always been like this. Hell it’s only been two days of normalcy in the last two months. I want to encourage all of you that are doing the balancing act in life, do something about it! If something has been wrong, and you can tell you’re not thinking clearly, and other people are noticing as well. You somehow, someway have to make it to a psychiatric appointment. Step one, get an evaluation, diagnosis, and get to work. Mental illness is a battle, and its one you’re going to fight every day. So get treatment, get leveled out, because the world keeps moving no matter the state of mind your in.
Whatever type of family you have, you have a place, and responsibilities. As nice as it would be to have your head in the sky, or bury yourself under your covers and sleep day and night, there is someone, somewhere that needs you! So what’s the big deal? Well there really isn’t a big deal unless you call wasting away a big deal. I encourage you to get out from under those blankets, and take life minute by minute. Some days that’s all you can do.
            Granted I was that person, for years! I know exactly what it’s like to crave your bed, feeling like you’re carrying a ton of bricks! I think I slept for two years straight before I got leveled off with my PTSD, and Bipolar II diagnosis. Medication adjustments, commitment to a healthy lifestyle, keeping all appointments, TAKING YOUR MEDS, and blood work, lots of blood work! Stick with it, I promise eventually you will level off, and start to lead a functioning life.
            Who is she to tell me what to do, I mean she’s obviously “mental” too? Well I’m not a doctor, not a psychiatrist, most defiantly not by any means a physiologist. Who I am is a person who has struggled with mental illness for my entire 37 years on earth. Mostly untreated, so I know all about signs and symptoms! I’ve read everything from the DVSMs to autobiographies about people with all kinds of mental illness. Sometimes I find myself in those pages I read. I read and reread, often I see more than I want to, have to admit to a lot more than I want too. Heads up, do the research yourself! Be proactive, and please don’t diagnose yourself, especially from reading a blog. Get help, it’s out there!
            Now you’ve made your way to a psychiatrist, and you’ve been given a diagnosis, that’s wonderful, I know doesn’t seem wonderful to be labeled “mental” but look at it like this…at least now you know what’s plaguing your life, and now you can stop wasting away, and get to it! I am not going to tell you it’s going to all be ok, that life with mental illness isn’t easy, because that is far from the truth! Your about to embark on the most challenging journey you’ve ever been on. So pull up your boot straps, and let’s get to work!
 Psychiatric medications are harsh, able to put you down in a second with the side effects. That there’s just no way around possible side effects. I’ve never met a psych med that agreed with my body at first. The constant tiredness, the vomiting on a frequent basis, the urge to curl in a ball and give it all up! Yeah, psych meds are horrible to say the least side effects are, they can range from dry mouth, to dry mouth to making you suicidal…I know right, suicidal, yes! Be open and honest with your psychiatrist. Make a list of your symptoms, you have got to be able to articulate what is going on with your body, and in your head. I promise you there is light at the end of this very long tunnel! Don’t stop taking your meds, no matter how good you feel, discuss the side effects your having with your doctor, there are alternatives out there, and your doctor can work with you. Take care of yourself…you deserve it! ~Mental Mari

            

No comments:

Post a Comment